the spirit of the samurai

by gilda rêvasseur on June 22, 2008

our last assignment of our fall 2007 semester at the parson‘s fashion department, was based on historical icons. some of my classmates chose to base their collections on twiggy, or alfred hitchcock etc. i, on the other hand, had just finished re-watching on dvd, bushi no ichibun, which translates into “one part of the warriors”.

it’s a tale about a lowly-ranked samurai who is employed as a poison taster, and loses his eye-sight after eating poorly prepared raw shellfish. this show was called “love and honor” when released in overseas film festivals, which completely leaves me dumbfolded because of how different the meaning of the title becomes. it was by acclaimed japanese director, yoji yamada, and stars in its lead role, you guessed it, kimura takuya.

inspired, i decided to base my collection on the samurais of japan. they have always intrigued me, and it is such a different and interesting culture of historic japan. even today, their spirit and mentality lives on in modern japan. (by the way, if you are interested in samurai culture, you have to watch shinsengumi. it is amazing.)

this was the final project of our fall semester and one that i am quite proud of. i did not want to take the samurai theme too literally, but rather, explored into aspects of the samurai costume, as well as japanese dress and kimonos.

click*click to zoom in!

my teacher last semester was big on basics, so i thought i’d better add in some basic pants and skirts to go with the collection. i’m pleased with the outcome of it though! i think it helped balance the overall look. my favorite pieces are the coat on the 1st girl, the chunky hand-knit on the 2nd, the skirt on the 3rd, the shirt on the 6th girl and the jacket on the last!

looking back, i think i really stepped it up with this collection. my drawing had definitely improved and it was such a relief and joy to end the semester, a very, very tiring semester, with a piece of work that i was happy with.

what do you think?

Gala June 22, 2008 at 2:43 am

Ooooooh yes. You have talent, for sure. I would wear a lot of those pieces! Gorge~!

Leanne June 22, 2008 at 6:43 am

ooo wow your designs are so sophisticated. i really like the subtlety of the samurai influence! would definitely wear!!!

is that mika nakashima?? it looks like her.

Bridey June 22, 2008 at 7:15 am

I really like them! There’s so much detail – the pictures are great.

Loulou June 22, 2008 at 8:19 am

Lovely pieces! you do indeed have a talent:)

Elle June 22, 2008 at 10:23 am

I love your designs! Let me know when you start your own business and I’ll be one of your most faithful clients!

Ivy June 22, 2008 at 10:55 am

Holy moley! They are far too good, I am sooo impressed! I agree with Elle, I’d definitely buy them!

Design for Mankind June 22, 2008 at 12:03 pm

OMG you are so talented! I’d totally buy each and every one. ;)

gilda June 22, 2008 at 4:17 pm

thanks everyone.:> you’re all too kind. i’m working hard on improving myself!! hopefully one day all these will come to life, instead of getting stuck forever in 2D land!

+leanne+
yes that is mika nakashima! i love her she’s like my muse.

enc June 22, 2008 at 7:15 pm

I think you’ve done some fabulous work here, mixing classic with futuristic and ’80s. Beautiful.

Leanne June 22, 2008 at 8:30 pm

ooo i love mika nakashima too!! her music is beautiful and she’s absolutely gorgeous. i loved her hair!! you know the hairstyle she had for a while, like the one in the Sakurairo Maukoro music video, i really wanted to get my hair like that, but i didn’t think i could pull it off :p

Katie June 23, 2008 at 2:59 am

your work is wonderful, gilda! the skirt on the third girl is so so fabulous…
ps: also love your site header- so pretty & colourful, makes me smile everytime i see it :)

Julie June 23, 2008 at 4:19 am

You have really improved a lot!! I love the coat, I think that I should have you make a custom one for me. I always like the coats you design. The collection is so well balanced and amazing. Not one of the pieces is overwhelming and you can wear everything.
my favourite is the coat.
Kisses from Spain n_n.

gilda June 23, 2008 at 5:42 am

+enc+
wow, i did think of classics and futuristic but 80s! i didn’t think of that… but now that you’ve mentioned it, i guess i did use some of those shapes in the garments. particularly the length of that 2nd knit dress. i hope it’s a good thing though!! haha

+leanne+
ohhhh yes yes yes yes. is that the really punk one, with short mullet type and then long behind? i LOVED it and always wanted to copy it. i hate how her hair is now but i still love her style.

+katie+
thanks!! i drew those girls and did up that image in photoshop. :)

+julie+
hey stop looking at my blog and go enjoy europe!! hee hee. thanks sweetie. (does mexico get cold enough for a real coat kind of coat?? or am i being stupidly ignorant again??) one day, i definitely will!!

Marie June 23, 2008 at 10:59 am

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I would love to wear the outfit on the far left!!! Though any of these pieces would be amazing to own! Congrats!

Couture Carrie June 23, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Wow, really impressive! I would love to own that coat in the center, or the sort of post-modern looking combo on the far right. Just gorgeous! Can I please post this series of sketches on my blog? I will link you, of course!

gilda June 24, 2008 at 12:17 am

+marie+
thank you!

+couture carrie+
i’d be delighted! :D !!!

Clare June 26, 2008 at 4:42 am

The bow on the 2nd from right shirt is really cool! But so are all of the pieces… I’d most defnitely wear them all. You’ve got quite a talent

gilda June 27, 2008 at 12:43 am

+clare+
i have a bow obsession :) recently i have been putting them into so many designs! thank you!

evie June 29, 2008 at 9:26 am

lovely designs! i particularly adore the skirt in the 3rd outfit and jacket (?) in the 5th.

i loved the movie btw…

gilda June 29, 2008 at 2:50 pm

+evie+
thank you evie! that skirt has actually been sewn. :)
ohh you watched the movie?? i think he was amazing. it’s hard to act blind!!

Torie Michelle July 1, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Soooo…I’m looking for a personal designer….lol j/k

Anywho! Your designs are wonderful. I love 2, 4, 6 & 7 here. Chic!

gilda July 2, 2008 at 11:12 pm

+torie+
hahahaha. well, one day! :) hee hee!

evie July 2, 2008 at 11:21 pm

yeah! i really enjoyed that movie and i thought he gave a brilliant performance!

i hope we’ll get to see the skirt and the rest of the items on your blog at some point :)

gilda July 3, 2008 at 12:12 am

+evie+
i know, right?!!? he practiced kendo blindfolded so that he really couldn’t see, and dripped red solution into his eyes (so dangerous!!) so that it’ll become bloody!! gawd. i’ll definitely take some pictures of myself wearing that skirt soon. :)

taz September 26, 2009 at 10:19 pm