some clowns knit

by gilda rêvasseur on July 1, 2008

right at the start of the spring semester (2008) at parsons’ fashion program, we were thrown into the wonderful world of knits. i love knits. we all definitely wear at least one knit a day. unless you’re the raunchy sort who goes around with leather knickers. (and if that is the case, more details please!)

here’s a quick summary of the facts, for those of you who aren’t quite sure. jerseys, like tshirts etc, are also knits. there are hand knits and machine knits, but they all fall into one happy family called knits.

there are 3 basic kinds of knits. one is called “mass produce”. i’m actually kidding. one type of knit is called the “cut and sew“, which means that a fabric, is cut into different pattern pieces (which are the parts of fabric that make up a piece of clothing), which are then sewn together. get it? you cut a piece of fabric, and sew it together. ta-da! easy right? now, although i made a joke, cut and sews should not be trifled with. gorgeous clothing can definitely be made with this method!!

the other kind of knit, is the kind i really love. and when i say really love, i mean love love love. it’s called the high fashion knit. you will see “high fashion marks”, that look like little ticks, on places that have tension in curves, like around the arm-hole, or neckline, etc.

and just to side-track a little, whoever gave these knits their names had no imagination.

i love high fashion knits. (although they tricked me into liking them by calling themselves high fashion.) and i love ‘em thick and chunky. very chunky. i liken them to soup on a cold and icy winter day. the thicker and chunkier the soup is, the better you feel drinking it. that’s what a good knit is to me.

one of my favorite knitwear designers is sandra buckland, who is queen of the knit world and previous winner of the amazing hyeres fashion festival. no questions asked and no denying anything. she inspired me to take up hand knitting and i still can’t do it like she does. she isn’t just a knitter. she’s a painter, sculptor, designer, artist, genius. oh yes, dear sandra buckland. i wish i could own one of her fantabulous knits but alas, even if i knew where i could get them, i would probably not afford them. and really i don’t want to find out where they are, because i might break in to steal them.

so back to my own pathetic attempt. my inspiration for this were clowns. namely, the clown from “it”. it, is a disgusting horror movie. i hate horror movies. i hate anything horror because i am the biggest chicken in town. they should be banned. but my friend made me watch this and now i have broken of all ties with her. (just kidding, i love you jess.) have you guys seen it? oh god i get creepy just remembering some scenes from the movie.

so i had watched this horror movie with a killer clown, which was scary and gave me goosebumps that lasted a whole night. the bad thing that came out of it was that i couldn’t do anything that night without freaking out and looking over my shoulder, and hurrying back home. and still look around the room because some bloody clown might come at me with an axe. the good thing that came out of it was, that it inspired me with many shapes and silhouettes that i used in this collection.

as for fabrics, my main fabric choice were silk jerseys, which i used in creating some cut-and-sews. in addition, i also designed some full-fashion knits, which i thought of using a nice fat 10-gauge yarn to do. i also used a silk gingham and a rayon mix woven as supporting fabrics.

for my mood board, i found an image of a nice fluffy cloud that sort of gave the image i wanted to portray with those chunky knits. and if you look closely, it’s actually the face of a clown. yes, very genius, but i’m so sorry i can’t give proper credit because i lost the link for it. :( i also included my usual muse, nakashima mika, who is a constant style inspiration.

clickety*click to enlarge the images!

comments, as always, are greatfully welcomed!!

Daiane July 1, 2008 at 8:37 am

i love thick and chunky knits! they made me through winter. also, i had an entire designer post about sandra some time ago. And another thing: i looove the last drawings, especially the silhouettes and how they are balanced by the garments on them. kisses!

tee tee July 1, 2008 at 9:45 am

Your drawing is amazing, your designs are amazing, but what I can’t take my eyes off of, and what I really, really, really want are the boots on the last girl!

Laura July 1, 2008 at 9:53 am

WOW!!! I love this set of designs…LOVE!
my very favorite pieces are the long coat and the hoodie dress. everything is fabulously drape-y and I want it!

Couture Carrie July 1, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I am really digging that extra long topper on the left . . . is it fringed at the bottom?
P.S. Horror movies rule – I love scaring the cr*p outta myself!!

Torie Michelle July 1, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Watching “It” as a child scarred me for life…lol. I now despise clowns. But I love Stephen King and all other things horror that do not involve clowns :-)

I know little to nothing about drawing fashion but when I was younger I dreamed about being a designer and tried my darndest to draw clothing. Righttt. Well, I’ve just never gotten back into that. Probably because the talent just isn’t there for me.

But it is for you! The pieces are amazing. I want models 1, 3, and 4′s outfits for myself.

Clare July 1, 2008 at 2:36 pm

this round of sketches is my FAVORITE of all of yours that i’ve seen. i love the makeup on the girl 3 from the left, and i want to BE all of those girls.

Marie July 1, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Thank you so much for introducing me to Sandra Buckland. !!! is all I can say about her work. I have finally stopped knitting scarves and prayer shawls and am trying to knit a hat, who knows? In a few more years I could knit something haut-couture! Haha, I wonder if there are drugs to enhance one’s knitting skills? :P

xoxo! Marie

Darren July 1, 2008 at 6:30 pm

omg I love knits too :) Rami from Project Runway is fabulous, I think.
I really love your design, especially the coat, the grey skirt, and absolutely everything about the drawing to the far right; love it!

melly July 1, 2008 at 9:21 pm

i have to say, i didnt think any form of wearable clothes could derive from clown inspiration. just not the way my mind works i guess cos these looks terrific! i would wear them all if i were tall & lanky like your model.

what i loved the most is your attention to detail. the little pompoms on the 2nd model’s shoes. the heart monogram on the stockings and esp the makeup!

i thought the big fluffy neckpiece on the 3rd model is brilliant. It is characteristic of a clown for sure but yet it doesn’t look ridiculous there. Nice!

cynthia silvestri July 2, 2008 at 5:52 am

those illustrations are lovely. i also love love love big chunky knits, though i am a rather piss-poor knitter.

btw, i was that weird girl that waved to you on 6th the other day. sorry if i confused you!

Queen Lazy July 2, 2008 at 7:39 am

I really love your designs! Especially the second girl in with the white top. xx

Beka July 2, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I love Sandra Buckland! I’m so glad you mentioned her. As far as the illustrations are concerned, the 4th from the left is my absolute favorite. SO cute!

evie July 2, 2008 at 11:31 pm

how in the world did something so pretty be inspired by “it”? that movie scared the hell outta me when i was a kid. my parents totally forbade us to watch the movie while we were out, but us being kids…

and i just picked up knitting. sandra backlund’s work is something to aspire to but frankly i can’t even get through something without dropping a stitch so an aspiration is will remain haha

gilda July 3, 2008 at 12:45 am

+daiane+
isn’t sandra just amazing?? i love so many of her things. it’s almost exasperating! :) coz i want all her stuff. she definitely gives me something to aim for!

+tee tee+
oh tee tee, you’re so nice. :) hahahaa, my classmate loved those boots too. i honestly would love one myself. especially if i could get a heel that shape!

+laura+
YES YES i really want that hoodie dress myself! i’m not the best of knitters although i’m currently learning. but once i get the hang of it that’s the first one i want to make!

+couture carrie+
i actually meant for it to be ribbed :) ewwww you’re one of THOSE. haha. i can’t take scary shows. i’m really too much of a scaredy cat!

+torie michelle+
to be honest i was never much of a draw-er as well. i have illustration classes and that really helped me. not a lot of designers are illustrators, by the way. most of them hire people to put their thoughts on paper!! so who knows… just start doing what you can! :)

+clare+
oh yeah, you wanna be clown-face, that’s what you want. haaha! well i’m so flattered you wanna be them! i just want their legs, actually! ;)

+marie+
yes, she is da bomb. and i have never used that word before. hee hee. if there were drugs for that, i would be on it now!!

+darren+
OMG rami!!! yes i thought he was really such a genius!! i was really torn between him and christian. and chris!! i loved his hair dresses haha. i really like this batch of drawings i had to… i think it’s because the girls have such fantastic attitude. they’re like, “uh huh! i’ve got it and i KNOW i’ve got it.” :)

+melly+
haha i’m sure they will look fine on normal girls too. the clown inspiration gave me ideas for the baggy high waisted items. yes, thank you for noticing the pompoms!! not many people do.

+cynthia silvestri+
oh god hahah i’m piss-poor too. ;) and HEY!!! sorry if i seemed rude on the street!! seriously my mind was just elsewhere and i had major samples to pick up and had to run around town when you waved. and i took like 5 seconds to register and i was like, “HEY!!!” and it was weird because we’d already passed each other. eek!! sorry!!

+queen lazy+
oooh thank you thank you!

+beka+
ahh yes, you like the hoodie too! :) thanks!!

+evie+
i KNOW!! it scared the crap out of me and i’m not even a kid. eeeeeeks!! i drop stitches too… and when i first started out it too forever for me to figure out how to go back and redo. i need more nimble fingers.

la petite fashionista July 4, 2008 at 4:33 pm

wow! im so jealous of your design/drawing talent. can’t wait to see them come into fruition.

happy 4th of july (@ pat fields? again, super jealous! have an amazing time!)

gilda July 6, 2008 at 3:35 am

+la petite fashionista+
haha! when all of it comes into “fruition”, i’ll definitely put them up!! i haven’t had as much time as i would like to really make all of them. :( and yeah we had a great bbq!!

Cat July 9, 2008 at 7:11 pm

wow, these are fantastic!!! the third one’s definately my favourite & the hats are adorable! great post!!!

gilda July 11, 2008 at 3:25 am

+cat+
ahhh! thank you! xox

cats as pet July 14, 2008 at 5:39 am

I feel affection for Sandra Buckland! I’m so cheerful you talk about her. As far as the illustrations are worried, the 4th from the left is my supreme preferred.

sunshine September 14, 2008 at 10:08 am

omg gilda, you know i love your work.. but #5, w the frilly knickers and garters, is i think how i am dressed in my mind ll the time :D

gilda September 17, 2008 at 5:01 am

+sunshine+
thank you!! frilly knickers!!! i love bloomers and i wish so much i had the legs for it. seriously!! i picture myself like that too. but in reality, i will look like a dumpling. hahaha!