today’s get-up 02apr11 : print-on-prints

by gilda rêvasseur on April 3, 2011

how long has it been since i’ve done an outfit post?

for the past couple of years i’ve been feeling like a frumpy, bloated, blimp of old housewife. yes, a direct result of sitting on my bum 24 hours a day and working through the nights while at parsons, and eating snacks at 4am to try to keep myself awake so i can get some work done.

not an ideal diet, to say the least. i’ve heard all my life about the american fast food diet, and it seems i caught that plague upon moving to new york. i’ve never eaten so much snacks and instant food, nor ordered so much delivery in my life. so taking pictures of myself was just the farthest thought from my mind, because i felt ugly ,and when i did take photos i hated how i looked.

last night, however, i was out at dinner, and decided to get a couple of shots since i had my camera out with me. apparently, i didn’t get the memo that one shouldn’t pile too much prints on top of one another. i realized later when i got home, that everything i wore had some kind of pattern on it. a bit too much perhaps?

i’m obsessed with prints though. especially gingham, stripes and polka dots. i have so much polka dots in my closet, you’d be shocked. what do you think? do you like prints? do you wear prints?

well i’ll be honest; i need to do some market research here because i’m noticing people buy more of the “plain” stuff in my collection than the prints. even while publications like WWD and all those trend reports are saying that prints are hot right now. hmmm…. do people just not like prints as much as i do? or is it that they don’t know how to wear them?

i do wonder.

+ vintage comme des garcons cotton gingham jacket
+ number (n)ine vest
+ silk-screened tshirt by junks japan (seriously the best quality of print i’ve ever seen)
+ ne-net jodhpurs
+ RÊVASSEUR wedges

oh. and here’s additional evidence that i am not a style blogger: i don’t own a tripod. meh!!

Singaporean in exile April 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Wow! You look fabulous! You should do more outfit posts in future. :)

I tend to buy clothes in solid colours as I don’t feel confident enough to mix and match prints. It takes a certain audacity and adventurousness to pull off prints the way you do. I’m too meek and wimpish to make a fashion stand like that.

gilda rêvasseur April 4, 2011 at 10:56 pm

HAHAHA! what’s this “singaporean in exile” id! (wait, are you really?) thanks for commenting. i’ve been feeling like a fat oaf so taking pictures of myself is not very appealing. you should just start off with stripes or plaids and make it happen! (keep to similar colours and it’s no-sweat.)

Lactose Intoler-Art April 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Really cool to see an outfit post Gilda. You look great, and I love your style. I don’t know, maybe I’m weird, but I REALLY like print on print on print, and I try to do it a lot too, and I especially have been lately. I think maybe its not that a lot of people into fashion don’t LIKE prints, they’re just afraid of how to pull it off. I don’t really care though, its like a CHALLLLENNNGE. Baha.
♥ Lactose Intoler-Art´s last [type] ..一輪車 Unicycle

gilda rêvasseur April 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

ohhh i love print on print on more print. you should see me on days when i go out in complete polka dot. AHHA! my old boss at pat field laughed at me one day and called me yayoi (as in, kusama!) i had a friend at bunka who was such a pro, i practically idolised her! she looked like a super kakkoii walking textile merchant!

Julie April 4, 2011 at 12:06 am

I L-O-V-E- those jodphurs. Love them! You’re so cute! I love you in a million prints. That’s very Gilda.

My strategy is that when I buy prints, I buy cheap, forever 21 shit prints b/c I’ll be over them or they’ll go out of style so why invest.

I pay more for plain things like fancy black jeans because I use them for years.

gilda rêvasseur April 4, 2011 at 11:01 pm

i love those pants too~! bought them from japan and wore it for the first time that day; to be honest they are too tight around my huge calves.

true, i spend a lot more money on things i know i’ll wear all the time too. in recent years however, i’ve been going crazy just investing in pieces that i now consider “art”. (i’m lying to my wallet)

Kimberlee April 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog! Wow that is an awesome outfit! You have such original style :)
♥ Kimberlee´s last [type] ..What Kim Kardashian And I Have In Common

gilda rêvasseur April 4, 2011 at 11:02 pm

why thanks! <3

Super Kawaii Mama April 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Print, pattern, texture.. it’s all welcome in my wardrobe. In fact, I love to do the big fashion no no of this era and layer up in the same pattern. A dress, jacket, bag, everything made of the exact same fabric! A sort of textile camouflage if you will. ;)
And that first photo on this post is simply DIVINE! You look so incredibly beautiful that, (I hesitate to say this but..) you’re glowing!!
Xx

gilda rêvasseur April 4, 2011 at 11:04 pm

oooh we need to talk about that. haha! i love how that sounds – textile camouflage! yessss!

oh i won’t lie, i only had tinted moisturizer and a lip stain on in that photo, so i did actually photoshop out my spots! (not so perfect skin just sucks)

Kaiami April 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Your shoooooes. *____* Oh man, those are love. How are they made? Maybe that’s a silly question. I always wonder how shoes are made.

I love prints! Prints on top of prints looks good on you! But I guess I prefer looking at prints rather than wearing them? I only have floral prints in my closet.
♥ Kaiami´s last [type] ..dark bloom

gilda rêvasseur April 7, 2011 at 2:21 am

err well i don’t know exactly how shoes are made myself but i got them made :D so happy you like them, haha! they are a sample for my collection! comes with a great tiered wedge too!

i want more floral prints but i am very fussy with them. a lot of those i see here in new york look really cheap. i adore chintz though, and really wanna design a whole collection with only floral prints!

Ria April 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Haha, I rarely use my tripod. It’s a lot more trouble than it’s worth. I try to find someone to take my photos. I’m a bum. I love the blazer and the pants. People probably buy the plain stuff because the average person is afraid of prints. I’d consider myself a pretty bright and colorful person and I still don’t mix prints much and I will usually buy the plain color variations of something before I buy prints.
♥ Ria´s last [type] ..Real Life Meets TV

gilda rêvasseur April 7, 2011 at 2:25 am

really! haha i try to get someone to take photos for me too, but my friends are worse than me at taking photos (so everything is on automatic). haha. i wish we could just cover the world in colours and prints! that would be pretty darn amazing.

Katja April 7, 2011 at 6:16 am

I love your outfit. It’s so you! And that is exactly why it works. I wouldn’t care much about what THEY say is in. Styles only work if the person wearing it MAKES it work. Forget about style memos. You have better things to do with your time… dig out your favorite pieces and create a new must-have style. I know I’m inspired by you now to go dig out my own prints and mix-match them!
♥ Katja´s last [type] ..New Coat- Old Pattern – from 1935!

gilda rêvasseur April 11, 2011 at 12:59 am

aww shucks, haha thanks. it’s true: trends don’t really matter most times. i hope you experiment more with prints and work them out!

Lydia April 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I am so into harem/jodhpur/drop-crotch pants right now!!! You look super cool.

gilda rêvasseur April 11, 2011 at 1:00 am

i am a dropped-crotch pants maniac. for one thing, they are so comfortable. for another, while some people hate them, i think they look cool. and lastly, i have fat thighs and i hide them in dropped crotch pants because there’s no way i’ll fit in skinny jeans! (not much of a secret there, though. hahaha) :D

rhio April 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I love the trousers on you :) usually I hate the hareem style, but here they just work :) I think its BECAUSE of the print, people are often too scared to mix, especially prints on the bottom half! x

Crazy Ivory August 31, 2011 at 7:00 am

You have got a really really cool style.
Addicted!

Ana November 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hey Gilda!

I really hope you come back to this site – I enjoy your posts and this outfit is one of my favourite outfits in my “Inspire” folder :) .
The wedges are a dream!

Ana August 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Dear Gilda, will you be coming back to this blog or your tumblr? I adore both places.

I hope everything’s good with you :) .
♥ Ana´s last [type] ..mastersensei:

Seraphinianus

tvjana August 7, 2013 at 12:39 pm

You have got a really really cool style.

jorprogrammer September 23, 2013 at 10:18 am